Monday, July 11, 2016

STEVE LAWRENCE: LIFE WITHOUT EYDIE

In discussing Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, Frank Sinatra once said, “Steve and Eydie represent all that is good about performers and the interpretation of a song . . . they’re the best.”

High praise indeed from the “Chairman of the Board” himself. In the mid 1990s the husband and wife singing duo of Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme toured with “Old Blue Eyes.”

Lawrence was born Sidney Liebowitz, in Brooklyn on July 8, 1935. Eydie Gorme was born Edith Gormezano in the Bronx on Aug. 16, 1928.

While singer Tony Bennett was able to introduce himself to a new generation of fans and reinvent himself in the mid 1990s after appearing on episodes of MTV Unplugged, Steve & Eydie still never attempted a crossover or reinvention; instead they remained dedicated to their prime audience – the cocktail generation raised on the music of the Rat Pack.

During a phone conversation we had with him in the 1990s, Lawrence had a few things to say about Bennett’s transformation.

“I think we could bring the same to the show that Tony did – that is, he’s doing what he’s always done and that’s the way to go,” Lawrence told us. “You don’t abandon one audience in an attempt to capture another. A few of our colleagues have done that and it’s proven to be a big mistake.”

Outside of occasional appearances on The Dean Martin Show back in the 1960s; the closest Lawrence came to attaching his star – even for the briefest of moments – to anything remotely considered hip or topical was when he appeared as agent Maury Sline in the 1980 hit film, The Blues Brothers starring John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd.


Their stylish act consisted of married couple comic banter, but the centerpiece always remained the music. Lawrence, the easygoing crooner with the rich baritone, and Gorme, the belter with the big, brassy voice, covered the musical landscape with hits from the masters: George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and Jerome Kern.

In October 2010, Steve and Eydie reached a career milestone when they celebrated their 50th anniversary as a popular singing duo. They were married in Las Vegas in 1957. Joe E. Lewis attended the ceremony wearing Chinese pajamas and Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, who were married there the same day, were witnesses.

Steve and Eydie began their careers as members of the cast of Steve Allen’s original Tonight Show. While starring with Allen, their individual recording careers flourished with such hits as “Blame It on the Bossa Nova” for Eydie and “Go Away Little Girl” for Steve. Steve and Eydie share a Grammy for the album, We’ve Got Us, and Eydie won a second Grammy for her solo recording of “If He Walked Into My Life.”

“We’re no different than anyone else,” said Lawrence. “Our disagreements run the gamut from professional to personal. In fact, one of the best shows we ever did came on the heels of a fight we had. I can’t recall what precipitated it. We walked out on stage and we were so hostile to each other. The more venomous it became, the more the audience loved it. When the show was over we were cleansed. It was actually cathartic.”


Steve and Eydie had two sons, one tragically died in 1986 at the age of 23 after knee surgery from a fall in a softball game. The young man, Michael, had experienced a mild heart condition as a teenager. Overcome with grief, the couple didn’t perform for a year.

On Aug. 10, 2013 the singing team was silenced forever when Gorme passed away just shy of her 85th birthday.

Since then, Lawrence, for the most part, has been absent from live performances and public appearances are rare.

When discussing the prospect of retirement at the time of our interview, he said, “Retirement is a decision based on a lot of different emotional levels. We’re sometimes the best ones to know and sometimes we’re the last ones to know. When you can no longer reach certain notes; when you are physically not strong enough to transmit that needed energy to an audience; these are all tell-tale signs along the professional highway that it might be time.”

17 comments:

  1. I saw Steve & Eydie perform at the PCPA in Orange County, CA back in the early 1990s and it was a magnificent show. She probably made 6 costume changes during the course of their show. I loved them together and individually. Great talents. We should all be so lucky to have experienced that kind of love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always enjoyed Steve and Eydie singing together and their back and forth banter

      Delete
    2. I just wish Steve would return to us as we miss his music so much. Saw Steve and Edyie at the McCallum not long before Eydie passed. It was like 'going home.'

      Delete
    3. I met Steve back in 1977 when my partner and I interviewed him in Green Room at the Tonight Show. Steve Allen was the host as Carson was off for the night. Steve was very friendly. What a wonder duo. A gift from God. I know what Steve is going through without Eydie as I lost my partner about 20 years ago of heart failure. The 60s-70s-80s was a great time for variety shows and fantastic music.

      Delete
  2. They were incredible together! wow what great chemistry! I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved Steve and Eydie for over 60 years. I've seen them perform many, many times, in Las Vegas, Atlantic City and the Westbury Music Fair on Long Island. Their shows were wonderful -- best music ever, lots of fun between the two of them -- and meeting them before or after the show was so special. Eydie's passing was very hard for me and I still miss her -- tho' not as much as I know Steve misses her. They were "Joined at the hip for 60 years" as per Steve. Love and prayers to Eydie and their son, Michael, in Heaven. Love, hugs and kisses to Steve and their son, David, here. David and his wife are doing excellent work here as composers. He looks like his dad, and has Dad's talent. Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I worked with Steve's Brother Bernie Lawerance with Toy Factory Mr Lawerance produced us he was great yo work with in my heart forever. I am and always will be a true fan of Mr Steve Lawerance and Eddie I feel do so sad to read of Eddie's passing and of course there son. I love Steve and Eddie and miss Bernie so much Bless them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dined right next to him in Beverly Hills back in may. He looked terrific

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love them so much. I became a fan back in the 1960s when I was a little girl with I want to stay here!My cousin and I used to put shows on for our parents. I saw them many times in Miami, Orlando, Atlanta, and the last one was in Palm Desert. I did get the pleasure of meeting them once and it was a dream come true. They were so nice. Eydie actually answered my email a couple of times and it meant so much to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope Steve knows, and that Eydie knew, how much their talent and attitude brought to our lives. From the time he sang Go Away Little Girl on the telethon to a little girl, and he got upset because she took it seriously, to the time I saw them on Broadway in Golden Rainbow and they improvised brilliant nonsense about Jackie and Ari because they had forgotten their lines. The good naturedness, humor, lack of ego and raw talent they emanated no longer exists in the entertainment business.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said it! A generation of true talent and class lost forever but what a life they led. Im jealous!

      Delete
  8. I was a Little girl of 8 yrs old and my father who was a Broadway Character and scalper always took us to bway..house seats of course. We saw what makes Sammy run..I gotta be me..great song..and I was taken to his dressing room to meet him. Not only was he breathtaking ly handsome what I remember most is how gentle and kind he was to me..much more than my gruff father. I was in awe and still am. Wish I could meet him again! Dad was Lippy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My thoughts are with Steve, living without his love. There marriage was a shining example of enduring love.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved Steve and Eydie and still do. I listen to their music alot, and even use it when I teach dance, especially their version of 'Cheek to Cheek.'.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was little and my mom used to sing their songs, and then I heard "Go away little girl" and became a fan of their music. Today as my mom fights Covid, I play her their music to keep her happy and at peace. Their music is soothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I go along with you, their music brings comfort . My favorite was In Time.

      Delete
  12. I loved when they opened their show in Las Vegas with "This Could Be the Start of Something Big"... Such a lovable couple❣

    ReplyDelete